Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pumpkin Pie


I made this pie for FHE yesterday. I tried a new crust from Melanie at melskitchencafe.com. It was good. I was a little concerned about the dough at first because it didn't have the normal pie dough consistency I am used to (I didn't read the part in her recipe that says it will resemble sugar cookie dough until after I made it). I also tried a new pumpkin filling that I found on a google search. I was intrigued by it because it uses whipping cream instead of evaporated milk and brown sugar in place of regular sugar. I thought it was really good. Nathan said it tasted "professional" (as if I would make anything less!).

Pate Brisee (aka pie dough)
by Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 c. shortening
1/3 c. ice-cold water

Mix flour, salt, sugar and shortening together with your hands to form a uniform mixture. Add water. Dip your hands in flour so they won’t get too sticky (although it will still be messy) and mix well. Roll into a ball. The dough will resemble sugar cookie dough. Divide in half and roll out each half on a lightly floured surface. Bake according to pie instructions.

Pumpkin Pie Filling
by joyofbaking.com

3 large eggs
15 oz. pumpkin
1/2 c. whipping cream
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl lightly whisk the eggs. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell and place on a large baking pan to catch any spills. Bake the pie for about 45-55 minutes or until the filling is set and the crust has browned (the center will still look wet) and a knife inserted in the middle comes out almost clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.



Click here for printable version.

No comments:

Post a Comment