Thursday, September 2, 2010

No Fry Refried Beans

So these are a little harder than just opening a can and microwaving them, but they are better than the canned variety (which really isn't that hard to do in my opinion). I don't have a picture, but they looked just like refried beans. :) Nathan couldn't stay out of them and Rachel would eat them forever if I'd let her.

I originally got the recipe from Allrecipes, but I've adapted them a little

Refried Beans

1 onion, peeled and cut in half
3 c. dry pinto beans
1 fresh jalepeno, seeded and chopped
12ish cloves garlic, smashed
1-2ish tsp. salt
1 3/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. cumin
3 1/2 c. (2 cans) chicken broth or stock
5 1/2 c. water

Put all ingredients in crock pot and stir to combine. Cook on high for 8 hours. Drain beans, reserving liquid. Mash, adding liquid to desired consistency.


I use my immersion blender to blend the beans to our desired thickness (or thinness, as the case may be). It works great. Allison said she blends them in her blender.

Click here for printable version.

No comments:

Post a Comment