Thursday, September 2, 2010

Southwestern Beef Wraps


Nathan brought these to Kelli and Patrick's family home evening in July for me. I didn't get to try them then so I decided to make them again for my family. They are so good and so easy. The meat would make great baked chimis or taquitos, I think.

The recipe is from Our Best Bites, which is becoming one of my favorite sites for recipes.

Southwestern Beef Wraps
by Our Best Bites

1 onion, chopped
2 1/2-ish lb. beef roast, trimmed of fat but left whole
1 heaping tsp. chili powder
1 heaping tsp. garlic powder
1 heaping tsp. cumin
1 heaping tsp. Kosher salt
2 bell peppers (you can use 2 green bell peppers or mix it up a little with red, yellow, or orange; just make sure one is green), chopped
1 14 1/2 oz. can Mexican-style diced tomatoes OR 1 can of Rotel tomatoes (regular or mild, depending on your preference)
Small flour tortillas
Other desired toppings: cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, etc.

Put onion in bottom of crock pot. Combine chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt. Rub all over meat. Put meat in crock pot. Add peppers and tomatoes. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 8-9 hours. Shred meat and serve with desired toppings.

Both times I've made this I used one green and one red bell pepper. I also have some of the leftovers in my freezer waiting to be used another day. According to Our Best Bites, you can assemble the ingredients in a freezer safe container (but do it backwards; ie. tomatoes, peppers, meat, onions) and freeze. When you're ready to use it just add 1-2 hours onto the cooking time.

Click here for printable version.

No comments:

Post a Comment