Friday, July 23, 2010

Banana Oatmeal Cookies with Banana Frosting


A few years ago Nathan's mom gave me some cookbooks for Christmas. One of them is called Cookies, Brownies and More. It is one of those cookbooks that uses particular brands to make the recipes. It doesn't have any pictures in it so I can't see what things are supposed to look like. Thus, I don't really use it a lot because I need the picture to entice me into trying something.

Anyway, I think Tiffin actually tried this recipe first and then I made them a couple of times. That was way back before we moved, though.

I had some bananas sitting in my kitchen and they were really ready to be used. I also had some leftover cream cheese frosting from the cinnamon rolls I made earlier this week. I was going to make banana bars, but then, as I was getting the recipe out, I saw this cookbook and remembered this recipe.

These cookies taste like banana bread with a little crunch around the edges. They are really yummy. I had just enough left over mashed banana to make 1/2 recipe of the frosting. No big deal though, because I was going to use the leftover cream cheese frosting. Honestly, if I hadn't made the banana frosting and just used the cream cheese it would have been ok. But, the banana frosting takes these cookies to a whole other level. Seriously.

One other thing. I wouldn't really call the dough a dough. It is more of a thick batter. It is really soft and gooey. I'm not sure you can tell from this picture, but I took it to give you an idea of its softness. Still, even though it is so soft, it doesn't spread much at all. I think my chocolate chip cookies spread more than these did.

Banana Oatmeal Cookies with Banana Frosting

Cookie:
3/4 c. butter flavor shortening (I only had regular so that is what I used.)
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 c. mashed ripe bananas (2-3 medium)
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 3/4 c. quick oats (not instant or old-fashioned)
1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts (I didn't add these because I don't have them.)

Heat oven to 350. Grease baking sheets with shortening. Combine shortening and sugar and beat at medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg. Add banana. Beat until blended. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Mix into creamed mixture at low speed until blended. Stir in oats and nuts with a spoon. Drop 2-tbsp size balls onto the cookie sheet. (I just used my cookie scoop.) Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes. Cool 1 minute on the pan and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting:
2 tbsp butter flavor shortening (I used butter)
1/4 c. mashed ripe banana
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 c. confectioners' sugar
finely chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine shortening, banana and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time. Beat at low speed after each addition until blended. Frost cooled cookies and sprinkle with nuts, if desired.

Click here for printable version.

No comments:

Post a Comment