Friday, October 30, 2009

Cream Cheese Chicken Soup


A few days ago, it was in the 40s and windy, and soup sounded so good. We tried this recipe from My Kitchen Cafe and we all loved it. It was so yummy! So, this isn't a "tried and true", but I wanted to share a new hit at our house. I served it with potato rolls.

(For us, the chicken didn't seem to do much for this recipe... maybe because I just boiled it, so it didn't have much flavor. I don't know. Next time, I think I might just add some frozen corn instead. I also added a cup of celery to the vegetables, to stretch it a bit more for Mike's lunch the next day).

Cream Cheese Chicken Soup
Serves 4-5

1 pound chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 onion, diced
1-2 Tablespoons butter
3-4 cups chicken broth (I used 4 cups)
4-5 reg carrots, sliced
1 cup chopped celery
4-5 potatoes, finely diced
1 cup milk
4 Tablespoons flour
8oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
Salt and pepper, to taste

Saute onion in butter. Put onion in pot and add 3 cups of chicken broth, carrots, and potatoes (and celery). Add more broth to cover vegetables, if needed. Bring to a boil, then simmer until veggies are tender (about ten minutes). When veggies are tender, mix the flour with the milk and add to the soup. Add cream cheese to soup little pieces at a time and stir until it is all melted. Add cooked chicken and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment