Monday, September 7, 2009

Apricot-Glazed Chicken

I make this often because it is a favorite of my kids, probably because it is sweet tasting. I usually make white rice or the toasted almond rice pilaf in the Buffalo Ridge cookbook. Saturday night when I made this chicken I decided to go with wild rice. My kids wouldn't eat it because it looked like earwigs!

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (Variation below)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 T. oil
1 c. chicken broth
3/4 c. apricot preserves
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 c. green onion, sliced

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is very hot brown breasts on both sides, about 2 minutes per side; remove chicken to a plate.

Add broth, preserves, and soy sauce to hot skillet; bring mixture to a boil. Boil 4 minutes. Return chicken to skillet; Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 7 minutes, spooning apricot mixture over chicken several times; cook until chicken is no longer pink in center. Sprinkle with green onion.

Variation~~ I take 6 chicken drumsticks and season them with salt and pepper. Put them in a 9x13 pan and bake in oven. In saucepan bring broth, preserves, and soy sauce to a boil for 5 minutes or so. Pour mixture over chicken during last 20 minutes of cooking, basting every 5 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment