Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Yellow Cake (from scratch)

I have never been a fan of 'from scratch' cake. It always turns out too heavy, dense, and... just not quite right. But, my kids were concerned that I didn't have a birthday cake and I didn't have a cake mix in the house. I went online and found a recipe on Allrecipes. I tweaked it a bit the way other commenter's had suggested. I really wasn't very hopeful that it would be any good. To my surprise THIS CAKE WAS SOOOO GOOD. I may never use a boxed mix again!!! Here is the tweaked recipe...
2 1/3 cups flour, (the recipe said to sift, but I don't have a sifter. I just used my whisk and whisked the flour in the container then gently scooped my flour)
1 T. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine dry ingredients. In another bowl combine oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add dry mixture and mix well. I mixed everything by hand with my whisk and it turned out GREAT!
Bake in a greased 9x13 at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Didn't the kids do a good job decorating!! They were very proud of their work!

No comments:

Post a Comment